This note will give you information regarding the State Government’s decisions around this year’s festival and some additional info about how some of you may also get involved.
NOTE: it is very important to read this as information from State Government. As many of you know, each Victorian council runs local events at Victorian Seniors Festival time. If you have been involved at that level in the past, each Council will also be in touch with their contacts to provide information about what they are doing this year.
State Government information regarding the Festival
The State Government has announced a range of initiatives to address mental health and wellbeing during the COVID-19 crisis, including the 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival reimagined.
The most important message to convey to you about the 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival reimagined is that planning for this is based on there being no Victorian Seniors Festival public events in October 2020.
Summarised below are the key actions associated with that decision
- The cancellation of planning and delivery of major 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival public events – Celebration Day at Federation Square; the Festival Hub and concerts at Melbourne Town Hall; Deakin Edge Concerts; the ACMI Seniors Film festival; and the Country Concert series
- The cancellation of the 2020 Victorian Senior of the Year Awards, in particular the public ceremony at Government House. However, we are thinking of ways in which we might honour older Victorians during the Festival and we will get back to you about this.
- No printed Festival program or Online Calendar of Events will be produced in 2020
- The retention in the 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival budget of the funds required to provide 8 days of free public transport for Victorian Seniors Card holders in 2020/21 with the dates for the provision of this to be identified by State Government at an appropriate time.
- The redirection of uncommitted Festival funds to three 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival reimagined initiatives:
- Commissioning and supporting performers and community organisations associated with the 2020 Seniors Festival to develop regular online entertainment branded to the 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival reimagined.
- Online broadcasting of 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival reimagined, April to October 2020
- Support to isolated older Victorians. To support the creation of dedicated radio content for older Victorians living alone and older Victorians in aged care facilities, including audio books, entertainment, and music from the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.
- Linking isolated older Victorians to local supports. Utilise the existing Seniors Online platform for local initiatives and use the Seniors Card and Commissioner communication channels to promote these and other initiatives supporting isolated older Victorians. We are particularly interested in hosting on our searchable directory any or all of the initiatives that councils are undertaking to support older people in their locality.
What is occurring and ways you might be involved
Online broadcasting of 2020 Victorian Seniors Festival reimagined, April to October 2020
From April 28 through to the end of October, the Festival will turn its major event resources to the production and weekly broadcasting of recordings made at home by Festival performers and presenters under guidance and support provided by us.
The recordings will be a mix of Festival branding; a welcome from the in the groove host (Bec Reid); a question or 2 to the performer / presenter about what they do, why they do it and their link to the Festival audience; a performance or presentation; a farewell from the host letting people know what is coming up in the next broadcast; credits acknowledging performer/presenter and Festival.
The recordings will be owned by the performer / presenter – i.e. their copyright.
Further details will be added here when they become available. In addition, Seniors Victoria website will likely provide a link to the timetable of events.